Friday 16 August 2013

Gun Formative

Real Life Gun Formative

For my formative i chose a Tommy gun. This was the first time we really had to use normal maps. Id only every created one normal map before and that was from a 2D texture. I never got around to texturing this as i got stuck on normals maps. The biggest thing i learnt from this project was not to put all my time doing one part of the project. Once i had my gun modeled i spent close the the rest of the week just trying to work out how to use and bake a normal map. As you can see it never come out pretty. Also when we got the brief my class and i though the poly count was 2k quads not tris. coming from a animation / movie diploma we didnt realize that our briefs meant a tri count. This was a huge hurdle to over come.  I started just working on one part of the gun, the barrel trying to perfect that before moving on to any other part of the weapon  In the end i had a grey scale model with a unusable normal map , with double the Tri count

Tri Count: LOD 0-4162 (Limit 2k)
                  LOD 1-3842 (Limit 500)
Texture size: 521 px
Software used: Xnormal, Maya
Renders: Taken in Maya











Updated
I mangered to get my normals looking better but they still weren't even close to normals i could use, So i decided to change the uv map to see if it was my Uvs that were the issue


Texture size: 2048 px
Software used: Xnormal,, Maya, Photoshop







No comments:

Post a Comment